Are you an indigene of Abia State and you have been searching for ways to get sponsored education?
If your answer is a yes, then this is the right page for you. If you are also inquisitive and looking for information for friends and family members, you’re welcome.
I have been to the university and I know how difficult it is to go through school without strong financial support. Many things will be left undone and you will be tempted to do what you wouldn’t do on normal basis.
The Abia State Government Scholarship Board has announced its scheme, which has been the trademark of the state.
- 1 HOW TO APPLY FOR ABIA STATE SCHOLARSHIP IN 2020/2021
- 2 Abia State Undergraduate Scholarship
- 3 Scholarship Programme in Australia
HOW TO APPLY FOR ABIA STATE SCHOLARSHIP IN 2020/2021
Application for the Abia State scholarship is done by submitting the already filled application form at the State’s scholarship board.
- First, download the Scholarship form.
- Fill in the required information
- Attach the necessary documents
- Submit the filled form and the attached documents at the Abia State Scholarship Board office.
Note: You must fill the application form in BLOCK LETTER.
Abia State Undergraduate Scholarship
- The applicant must be a bona-fide indigene of Abia State (By Paternity).
- Applicants must have at least five (5) credits in GCE/SSCE/WASC/NECO in Maths, English Language and 3 other relevant subjects obtained in one sitting.
- For an undergraduate student, an applicant must be a full time (100 LEVEL) degree students of the under-listed courses in Abia State:
- Michael Opara University of Agriculture at Umudike
- Abia State University in Uturu
- College of Health Sciences
- Gregory University Uturu.
List of Course Eligible for Application
- Agricultural Engineering
- Agricultural Science
- Business Administration
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Environmental Studies
- Mass Communication/Journalism
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials/ Metallurgical Engineering
- Human Medicine
- Petroleum Engineering
- System Engineering
- Evidence of State of Origin/ Local Government
- Admission letter into the institution with information on the course of study, year of entry and duration.
- SSCE/GCE/NECO O’ Level Certificate
- A school ID card or National ID or Driver’s Licence or International Passport.
The chairman of the board, Ambassador Kanu who revealed that the Abia State Government is subsidizing the school fees for each of the selected candidates to the tune of 50 percent while the Universities bear the remaining percentage also stated that a minimum of 100 candidates would benefit in the scholarship program annually.
The scholarship however, would last throughout the administration of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu.
The chairman explained that the current postgraduate scholarship is for civil servants in the state who are not up to 50 years old or more than 25 years in the civil service.
He commended the Governor, Governor Okezie Ikpeazu for his love for education which made him to enter into partnership with the two Australian Universities which made it possible for the scholarship.
Contributing, some members of the board, Professor Sam Agu, Dr.(Mrs.) Achama Malik Egbuta and Dr. (Mrs.) Nnenna Anyanwu informed that the courses to be done would be more of Information Technology and Science based and would enhance development of the state.
They equally disclosed that apart from the international scholarship, the board has come up with some scholarships for schools within Nigeria.
The Abia State Scholarship Program is an idea of the Abia State Government.
The main aim of making available Scholarship opportunities to students is to develop social capital to meet up with the growing needs and workforce requirements of the State and to also improve the culture of learning amongst the indigenes.
A peculiar condition has been attached to the Scholarship program and that is that the students would return to Abia State after completion of their course and requirements and serve the government of Abia State for a period of 5 years.
The board is to among other things support succor and support from Primary, Secondary through Tertiary education in Abia, look for the most vulnerable pupils and students in their first and final years of education and those who desire for skills in lie with his administrations objectives which he described as most critical.
Governor Ikpeazu while inaugurating the board said the support for the yearnings of the youth to achieve education is very critical.
He said members of the board were painstakingly chosen and expressed belief that they are capable of bringing innovations and ensure young Abia State indigenes have access to quality education beyond Nigeria.
The Chairman of the assured that the board will give their best to achieve the objectives. Below are some information you need to guide you through to a successful application.
Scholarship Programme in Australia
This newly inaugurated board has called for applications from interested and qualified candidates, especially students and civil servants of Abia State.
The chairman of the board, Ambassador Empire Kanu made this known at the first press briefing if the Board. He mentioned that the scholarship is for those that intend to study at the University of Newcastle and the University of New England, Australia.
Applicants must have:
- Completed four years bachelors degree
- Minimum Five years work experience
- O’ level certificate
- Any other courses completed
- IELTS or PTE result
- Employment letter/ letter from employer
Award Eligibility Requirement
- Indigene of Abia State
- Employees of Abia State Government
- Approved students Applications for admission via OAA Study
- Offer Letter from University of Newcastle
Other Scholarships That Are Open to Abia State Students
- African Development Bank. Next African IT Leaders Program
- Adelaide International Scholarships
- Shell Nigeria Students Scholarship
- AlexOtti Foundation Scholarships
- NLNG Scholarships
- NNPC/Total Scholarships
It is important I reiterate at this pint that Abia State Government is not currently running a fully sponsored undergraduate scholarship. We are poised to keeping you updated on such issues.
We therefore urge you to subscribe to our newsletter in order to stay informed.
Have you questions? Leave them in the comment box and if you have suggestions too, we’ll be glad to hear from you.
If you seek a post graduate scholarship, you can go ahead and apply for the ongoing Abai State International post graduate scholarship. Goodluck!