Ahmadu Bello University is a federal institution located in Zaria, a town in Kaduna State.
It is one of the top-rated universities in Nigeria. As such, it is a desirable school for many aspirants.
And if you are one of such aspirants, in this post you will learn the school fees and admission guidelines of the University.
ABU Zaria School Fees
The fees paid by the students of this University vary across faculties and levels.
In like manner, that paid by undergraduates vary from the amount paid by their postgraduate counterparts.
These differences arise due to varying degrees of complexity in courses, and the cost of teaching materials.
Currently, Freshers tend to pay higher than returning students, while postgraduate students more than undergraduate students.
Undergraduate School Fees
|Faculty||New Students||Returning Students|
|Administration||N40, 500||N23, 000|
|Agriculture||N40, 500||N23, 000|
|Arts||N39, 500||N23, 000|
|Education||N39, 500||N23, 000|
|Engineering||N43, 500||N24, 500|
|Environmental Design||N40, 500||N23, 000|
|Law||N40, 500||N23, 000|
|Life Science||N40, 500||N23, 000|
|Medicine||N44, 500||N27, 000|
|Pharmaceutical Science||N44, 500||N27, 000|
|Physical Science||N44, 500||N27, 00p|
|Social Science||N39, 500||N23, 000|
|Veterinary Medicine||N44, 500||N27, 000|
Postgraduate School Fees
The School of Postgraduate Studies in ABU Zaria covers Post Graduate Diploma, Masters’, Doctorate and Post-Doctorate programmes.
Since these are higher degree studies, students pay more when compared to undergraduate fees.
- Application Fee: N10, 000 for all postgraduate programmes across all the available faculties.
- Acceptance Fee: N50, 000 for all students across different faculties and departments.
- Registration Fee: N25, 000 for both science and management science courses.
- Tuition Fee: Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) students pay N150, 000 while Masters’ Degree students pay between N200, 000 and N250, 000 depending on your course of study.
- Health, Computer, Sports and Examination: About N120, 000 when summed up.
- Development Fee: N100, 000
Total Fees Paid at the end of the Postgraduate programme at ABU
By the end of your post-degree programme at ABU Zaria, you are expected to have paid about N510, 000 school fees if you are a science-inclined student.
About N455, 000 if you are management science student and around N405, 000 if you enrolled for the PGD programme.
Disclaimer: The fees paid by students could vary with years. However, the amounts stated above might not be the exact amount currently paid.
ABU Admission Guidelines
The University offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. As such, they admit both categories of students.
For whatever category you fall under, you must follow the admission guidelines and meet the set requirements before you will be accepted.
Some requirements are niched-down to courses of study but below are the general admission criteria for both categories.
- Step 1: Choose the University in your JAMB
Your first step towards becoming a student of this prestigious institution is choosing it as your first choice of institution in JAMB.
You might not have a chance of admission if you take it as your second choice because ABU is a highly competitive university.
- Step 2: Apply and sit for the University’s post-UTME.
If you can meet the University’s JAMB cut-off mark, then you must proceed to purchase their screening exercise form.
Aside from scoring the required mark for your choice of course, and writing the correct UTME subjects, you must meet the following admission requirements:
- UTME Candidates: Five ‘O’ level credit passes including English Language, Mathematics and any other three (3) relevant subjects.
- Direct Entry Candidates: Two ‘A’ level/IJMB Passes in subjects relevant in your area of study and a credit/Merit Pass in OND.
The University offers PGD, Masters and Doctorate programmes under the School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS).
Interested candidates can enrol for any of these programmes following the laid down application procedures.
The application is usually carried out via the SPGS website.
But before you will be considered for admission, you will have to meet the admission requirements.
- Candidates must meet the normal undergraduate requirements for the corresponding undergraduate programme as stipulated by JAMB.
- And if it had not been determined by JAMB, you must have at least five relevant O’ level credits or a combination of relevant O’ level credits and A’ level qualifications such as IJMB, HND, HSC, and NCE would be required. In all cases, these must include a credit in O’ level English Language.
- A holder of Pass Degree OR HND (less than Lower Credit) is not qualified for any Postgraduate programme in ABU.
- Candidates with 3rd class Degrees can, in some cases, be admitted, provided they possess additional relevant qualifications and/or post-graduation work experience (at least 5 years) acceptable to the University.
- Applicants for a PhD programme must hold a Master degree or M.Phil with a research thesis component (not project).
- Candidates with a CGPA score of less than 3.5 are not eligible for PhD admission.
Students of ABU, as well as other federal universities in Nigeria, pay lesser fees than those in state universities, especially in the undergraduate level.
So, if you are seeking a relatively pocket-friendly university to attend, you might want to consider this university.
And having known the school fees and admission guidelines of ABU Zaria, we are sure you are ready to go on.