Is it your dream to work as a Nigerian custom officer?
The fact that the custom is a very interesting service where you will get exposure to so many international and local affairs that would blow your mind may not just be the driving force.
The custom officers receive good pay and mouthwatering allowances that would keep them and their families up.
As the above may be true, you should also understand as an aspirant of the Nigerian Customs Service. Serving the country in this service requires integrity to preserve the value of Nigeria, by refusing any form of corruption.
It is not all about the money and exposure; it is more about knowing the needs of the people you serve; the lives and properties you will put at risk if you fail to do your duties well.
Well, I will say at this point that it is good you are on this page because in this article, you will learn all about the Nigeria custom and how to apply.
- 1 REQUIREMENTS FOR NIGERIA CUSTOMS RECRUITMENT
- 2 HOW TO APPLY FOR NIGERIAN CUSTOMS SERVICE RECRUITMENT
- 2.1 ACADEMIC REQUIREMENT FOR THE VARIOUS CADRES OF NCS RECRUITMENT
- 2.2 ABOUT THE NIGERIA CUSTOMS SERVICE
- 2.3 RANKS AND SALARIES
- 2.4 Frequently Asked Question
- 2.5 Share this:
REQUIREMENTS FOR NIGERIA CUSTOMS RECRUITMENT
For the Nigerian Customs Service to behold any of their vision or reach the end of any of their missions successfully, they must recruit high spirited youths. However, below are the basic requirements for NCS recruitment application:
HOW TO APPLY FOR NIGERIAN CUSTOMS SERVICE RECRUITMENT
Having got the knowledge of all that is required of you for the application process, you can now go ahead and learn how you can apply for the NCS recruitment
The application is done via the Nigerian Customs Service official website: https://vacancy.customs.gov.ng
- First, enter the website
- Select the Cadre you prefer to enter: Superintendent Cadre, Inspectorate Cadre or the Assistant Cadre. Make sure your qualification match the cadre you are choosing, else you will have no chance of getting in.
- Now create your account by entering your active email address and your desired password and your name.
- Click the “Create Account” button below the page.
- An email verification link will be sent to your mail. So go to your mail and click on the verification link and you will be redirected to the page where you will continue your application.
- Enter you bio-data and upload the necessary documents.
- After successful upload of your documents, you can now go ahead to submit.
You can always login back to your account to continue your application if you could not complete it in one session. But note that you cannot change the already saved information.
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENT FOR THE VARIOUS CADRES OF NCS RECRUITMENT
You can only apply for the NCS cadre for which you have its minimum academic requirements. So note make sure your application matches the following qualifications.
Applicants for this cadre must possess a Bachelor’s degree or HND certificate with the NYSC discharge or exemption certification.
The relevant fields needed are: Accounts, Audit, Actuarial Science, Aviation, Building, Dental Surgery, Computer/ICT, Law, Marine, Communication, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Nursing, Nutrition/Dietary, Optometry, Quantity Survey, Sports/Procurement, Medicine, Medical Laboratory Science, Pharmacy.
Applications are accepted from applicants having NCE or OND from recognized school. The following fields are relevant for application: Accounts, Audit, Actuarial Science, Aviation, Building, Dental Surgery, Computer/ICT, Law, Marine, Communication/Camera and Handling, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Nursing, Nutrition/Dietary, Optometry, Quantity Survey, Sports/Procurement, Health Information Management, Health Service Administration, Medical Laboratory Science, Secretarial Studies.
These are junior ranking officers which comprise of Customs Assistants. To apply for this cadre, you should have the following:
Applicants must have SSCE, NECO or NABTEB certificates with five credits of which Mathematic and English Language must belong. They can also possess certificates of trade in the following areas: Accounts, Band Camera Handling/ Photography, Driving, Electrical, Health Assistant, Building, Mechanical, Tailoring, Stores, Sports, Junior Community Health Assistance, and Clerical Assistance.
ABOUT THE NIGERIA CUSTOMS SERVICE
The Nigeria Customs was established in 1891 during the colonial rule. They are charged with the duty of revenue collection and accounting for it.
They are also an anti-smuggling body which is also fundamentally into trade facilitation.
With the Nigeria custom occupying at crucial position in the international supply chain of goods and services. They are seen by the government as an important element of economic policy.
The Structure of the Nigerian Customs Service:
The Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) is headed by the Comptroller General. His job is to oversee the work of the six deputy comptroller generals in the six departments in the NCS. These six departments include:
- The Tariff and Trade department
- The Corporate Support Services
- Enforcement, Investigation and Inspection department
- Excise, Industrial, Incentives and Free Trade Zone
- The Human Resource Development department.
- Modernization, Research and Economic Relations
The Nigerian Customs Service board is chaired by the Minister of the Ministry of Finance and co-chaired by the Comptroller General of the Service.
It is unarguable that the reputation of the Nigerian Customs Service has been stained by gross corrupt misconduct.
The recruitment however focuses on recruiting Nigerian youths who have burning desire to make positive changes; those who have love for lives and properties and the zeal to place Nigeria where it should be (the top) on the global scale.
RANKS AND SALARIES
One of the things you would want o find out about the customs officers is how much they earn annually relative to their ranks. So below is the list from the lowest rank to the highest:
- Customs Assistants (N298,506 to N330,321).
- Assistant Inspector of Custom (N357,358 to N411,484).
- Inspector of Custom (N483,014 to N567,065).
- Assistant Superintendent of Customs II (N888,956 to N988, 991).
- Assistant Superintendent of Customs I (N1,012,562 to N1,143,539).
- Deputy Superintendent Customs (DSC) Officer (N1,094,027 to N1,252,038).
- Chief Superintendent Customs (CSC) Officer (N1,158,172 to N1,325,234)
- Assistant Comptrollers (N1,225,584 to N1,405,449).
- Deputy Comptrolles (N1,619,447 to N1,825,589).
- Comptrollers (N1,759,829 to N1,966,281)
- Assistant Comptroller-General (N2,272,288 to N2,464,560).
Frequently Asked Question
When will the Recruitment Start?
The Customs recruitment of 2019 started in April 2019. We are not yet certain when it will start in 2020 but we promise to keep you updated with the latest updates and other opportunities.
Who is the head of the agency?
The Comptroller General is the head of the Nigeria Customs Service. Currently, the Comptroller General is Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali (Rtd).