Nurses do not just appear all of a sudden; they are trained in nursing schools for good number of years. And do you know one of the best nursing schools you can attend if you must be a qualified and certified nurse? It is the FCT Nursing School, Abuja.
Perhaps you have heard about this school but you are not sure how you can get enrolled in the school as a nursing student. Very well, this article shall give you a full guide through all you should know about the School of Nursing Abuja, forms and requirements.
We have also enlisted here other important details you will need to know about the school and her examination. I therefore urge you to read carefully so as not to miss important details.
- 1 SCHOOL OF NURSING ABUJA ADMISSION FORM AND REGISTRATION PROCESSES
- 1.1 ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS
- 1.2 REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION
- 1.3 THE DEPARTMENTS IN THE SCHOOL OF NURSING ABUJA
- 1.4 DIFFERENT EXAMINATIONS TAKEN AT THE FCT SCHOOL OF NURSING
- 1.5 Basic Nursing Programme:
- 1.6 Post Basic Nursing Programme
- 1.7 EXTERNAL EXAMINATIONS
- 1.8 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- 1.9 CONCLUSION
- 1.10 Share this:
ABOUT THE FCT SCHOOL OF NURSING
The Federal Capital Territory School of Nursing, Abuja is undoubtedly one of the best nursing schools in Nigeria. The present day FCT School of Nursing was first establish in 1981 in the temporary site at Suleja, Niger State, where the General Hospital Suleja served as the primary clinical base for the nursing students.
The school has continued to grow ever since as it was relocated to the permanent site in Gwagwalada, Abuja. Today, the school has a total number of six departments. The school also runs a Basic Nursing Programme which takes a duration of 3 years. In the school is also the Post Basic Nursing programme which lasts for just 18 months.
SCHOOL OF NURSING ABUJA ADMISSION FORM AND REGISTRATION PROCESSES
The FCT School of nursing sells two admission forms for different categories of students they admit:
- The form for the Basic Nursing programme in September.
- The form for the 18 months Post Basic Nursing programme sold in March.
During the months stated above, the school begins to sell the forms through their School website. If you must get hold of the FCT School of Nursing application form, you should visit the page early in the months of application.
When application closes, qualified candidates will be invited for an entry examination and the only students that will be admitted are ones that scored the minimum required points.
Before you can apply for admission in the School of Nursing, Abuja you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are either a female or male who is not less than 17 years old.
- Applicants for Basic Nursing programme be holders of WASC or its equivalent with at least 5 credits passes including English, mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology at not more than 2 sittings. The WASC, G.C.E or NECO results must not exceed 10 years from the date of sitting for the entrance examination.
- Applicants for Post Basic Nursing Programme must be certified midwives who possess at least evidence of completion of the one year mandatory community midwifery and the notification of registration from the council in addition to the basic entry requirements stipulated for the basic training program.
REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION
When you have been admitted by the FCT School of Nursing, you must complete your registration with the following documents. Again, you cannot be registered of you have not paid all your school fees.
THE DEPARTMENTS IN THE SCHOOL OF NURSING ABUJA
There are just six departments in the FCT School of Nursing, and they would include the following:
- Family Health department
- Anatomy and Physiology department
- Medical Surgery department
- Primary Health Care department
- Nursing department
DIFFERENT EXAMINATIONS TAKEN AT THE FCT SCHOOL OF NURSING
During the course of your study in the School of Nursing Abuja, you will pass through series of tests and examination. A total number of 5 exams are organized for the Basic Nursing programme and 3 exams for the Post Basic Nursing programme.
Basic Nursing Programme:
- Pre-introductory block exam
- End of introductory block exam
- End of 1st year examination
- End of 2nd year examination
- End of 3rd year examination
Post Basic Nursing Programme
- End of introductory block examination
- End of 2nd year examination
- Hospital final examination
The internal examination in the FCT nursing school is promotional. However, you must pass all the exams as stipulated in the school’s examination regulation before you can proceed to a higher class. In all examinations, the pass mark is 50%.
Aside the above listed internal examinations, you will also sit for the external professional examination, which is the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria Professional Examination (N&MCN).
But you must note the points below:
- Before you are allowed to sit for this examination, you must have passed all the papers in the hospital’s final exam.
- You cannot be presented more than 3 times for the N&MCN professional examination. If after the 1st attempt you are not successful then you make the 2nd attempt. If you fail to pass in the second attempt, then you must wait for 1 year before you can make your last attempt. Peradventure you fail in the last attempt, you will be forced to withdraw from the Nursing career.
It is important you understand all these bits about the nursing schools, lest you get stranded along the way.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is the FCT School of Nursing form out for 2020?
The School of Nursing Abuja entrance form is usually sold annually in month of September for Basic Nursing Programme aspirants and in March for the Post Basic Nursing programme. So currently, the form into the Abuja school of nursing for post basic nursing programme is on.
What is the FCT School of Nursing portal?
The portal for the FCT School of Nursing, Gwagwalada Abuja is www.fctson.abj.gov.ng
Does University of Abuja offer nursing as a course?
Currently, University of Abuja does not offer Nursing courses in both undergraduate and post-graduate categories.
If you have come from the start of this post up to this point, there is nothing I would believe but that you have got all you should know about the School of Nursing, Abuja form and requirements.
Maybe we have not answered a question yet troubling you. Please do well to drop your questions in the comment box. Suggestions and input from you will be greatly appreciated and please, do not forget to share this article with your friends.