The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) test determines if one will get admitted into the Nigerian tertiary institution. Therefore, the first step to getting admitted into any university in Nigeria is applying for JAMB UTME and sitting for the examination.
If you are sitting for the examination for the first time, the entire JAMB registration and other processes may appear difficult. But that will not be the case after you have gone through this article. In this post, you will learn about the JAMB form and the online registration processes.
You will also learn about JAMB. Answered at the end, are some frequently asked questions; ones which could be bothering you. Read on to see what we have here.
WHAT IS JAMB?
I do not know how much you know about JAMB, but I feel you should know little about it before you head along to make your application.
JAMB is an acronym for Joint Admission and Matriculation Board. It is an educational board that is charged with conducting the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination for candidates who wishes to be admitted into the Nigerian universities.
The series of examination held in batches are conducted at various Computer Based Test (CBT) centers. The JAMB results are released after some days and candidates who have scored from 150 and above, will stand a chance to be admitted into the category for which they are qualified.
The board ensures that qualified prospective undergraduates are admitted not just into the Nigerian universities, but also in monotechnics, colleges of education and polytechnics. The qualified applicants are only those who have successfully obtained an O’Level result (WASCE, NECO, SSCE, GCE, NABTEB etc).
JAMB was founded in 1978 and it is headed by the Registrar. The current JAMB registrar is Is-Ishaq Oloyede
STEP BY STEP GUIDE FOR JAMB REGISTRATION
JAMB registration involves different steps and processes. Here outlined are the simple steps through which you can get your JAMB form and registration on the way.
STEP 1: JAMB PROFILE CREATION
Creating a JAMB profile is the first step you will make towards applying for JAMB. It involves signing up with your name, with your email or phone number, and choosing a login password.
After signing up, a verification link will be sent to your email address. Get into your email inbox and click the confirmation email to continue your registration.
After a successful registration, a 10-digit PIN will be sent to you, with which you will obtain the JAMB ePIN with which you can complete the rest of the registration process. You will proceed to any accredited CBT centre with the ePIN to complete your JAMB registration.
STEP 2: OBTAIN THE JAMB ePIN
The next step following the creation of JAMB profile is the purchase of the JAMB ePIN. The PIN can be obtained at different points including the following:
- Four mobile money operators which are: Paga, eTranzact, Packway Projects and TEASYPay.
- Commercial banks which are: First Bank, UBA, Access Bank, Jaiz Bank, Fidelity Bank, Zenith Bank, Ecobank, Polaris Bank and so on.
- Two Microfinance banks: FUD microfinance bank, Dutse and Regent Microfinance Bank, Abuja.
- Online payment platforms (Remita and Quickteller only).
- At ATMs of listed banks, as stated above.
- The ePIN can also be obtained at the Nigerian embassies in the following places: Abidjan, Accra, Addis Ababa, Johannesburg, Cotonou, Jeddah, London and Buea.
At obtaining the JAMB ePIN, these above listed participating platforms will collect your JAMB profile PIN and allow make a payment of N3,500 for the ePIN.
The ePIN will therefore be sent to your phone (to the number which you opened your profile with) and they will also issue you a proof of payment.
DIFFERENT PAYMENT METHODS FOR JAMB FORM/PROCUREMENT OF ePIN
There are different methods by which you can pay for ePIN. Which is most convenient for you, I guess should be your choice:
You can procure the JAMB ePIN at the participating commercial banks and microfinance banks.
- Present your JAMB profile code
- Pay a sum of N3500 cash to the bank
- Get your ePIN delivered to your unique phone number
PAYMENT VIA JAMB PORTAL
- Enter JAMB portal www.jamb.org.ng
- Click on the Purchase JAMB for button
- Type in your Profile code
- Select your payment method: Remita or Interswitch
After a successful payment, your ePIN will be sent to you.
PAYMENT VIA USSD
- On your phone, dial *565*6*55019#
- Enter your JAMB profile code
- Select your bank from the list
- Follow the on-screen prompt to complete the transaction.
STEP 3: PROCEED TO JAMB CBT CENTRE FOR REGISTRATION
Following the acquisition of the JAMB ePIN is the registration at any approved CBT centre. You will need to proceed to any CBT center nearest to you with your ePIN.
At the accredited CBT centres, you will be allowed to login to your profile and complete the online JAMB registration form.
Here are the registration data required of you:
- Provide your biodata: date of birth, State and LGA of origin, gender, nationality, religion and so on.
- Choose the universities and programmes of choice. The university and course which you are passionate about must occupy your first choice. Make sure you put other desirable courses in the other choices.
- Enter your O’Level grades if you are not awaiting your results
- Choose your UTME subjects and your choice of examination town. You are advised to choose where you live close to.
- Capture you face and biometrics
- Review all you have entered and proceed to submit if they are all clear.
- Under no circumstance should you give any JAMB CBT center your login details. It is advised that you login to your account yourself, after which they can now take it from there.
- Do not give your ATM card details also at the CBT centers. If they want to obtain the ePIN online for, they can make use of their own card while you settle them with cash.
WHAT IS THE COST OF JAMB FORM?
The sum total of what JAMB registration costs is N4,700. The breakdown of this amount is stated thus:
- JAMB Registration Fee (JAMB ePIN) = N3,500
- UTME Texts (novels to be read in preparation for the exam) = N500
- The service fee paid at the CBT centre of registration N700
Candidates are also given a CD containing the JAMB eSyllabus, eBrochure and other necessary information you might need along your journey as a “Jambite.”
HOW CAN YOU RECOVER YOUR ePIN?
In case of loss, you can recover your ePIN and proceed with whatever you wish to use it for. Follow the steps to recover your JAMB ePIN:
- Text “UTMEPIN” (for UTME students) or “DEPIN” (for Direct Entry) to 55019
- The PIN will be retrieved in a short while and be sent to your unique number.
NOTE: You can only retrieve your JAMB ePIN through the number you opened your profile with.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the requirements for JAMB registration?
All you need to apply for JAMB is your O’Level result which must be:
- At least 5 credits, which must include Mathematics and English Language.
- The rest of the details are contained in the eBrochure that will be given you on registration.
What is the date and venue for JAMB 2020?
The 2020 JAMB UTME examination is set to commence on the 14th of March 2020, through 4th April, 2020. The venue of the examination will be at different approved CBT centers, according to the location you chose on registration.
Is English compulsory in JAMB?
Yes, the Use of English is the only compulsory subject across whatever discipline you are applying for. It then means that you must write English in JAMB no matter your course.
Is Mathematics compulsory for Business Management?
Mathematics is only compulsory for candidates applying for Engineering courses or some Physical science courses like Computer Science, Mathematics and other. The eBrochure and eSyllabus can always be your guide.
We have come a long way up to this point. I am certain you have got all you should know about JAMB form and online registration. Perhaps you have questions, do not fail to put it down in the comment.
Make sure you stay updated with information regarding JAMB, scholarship and jobs. All you need to do is to subscribe to our newsletter; you can also bookmark this page.