Are you are an undergraduate, or a postgraduate student from Lagos State hoping to be sponsored through scholarship?
I assure you that this article is particularly for you, as it contains information of all you need to know.
It is one of the roles of the government to make education easily accessible to the people. This is because education is not only a basic human right but also an important criterion for socio-economic development.
For this reason, the Lagos State government has taken it upon themselves to see to the sponsoring of some of their indigenous students in higher institutions all over the country.
I invite you, therefore, to read along carefully so that you will not miss important details.
- 1 LAGOS STATE UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
- 2 LAGOS STATE POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
- 3 OTHER SCHOLARSHIPS FOR LAGOS STATE STUDENTS
LAGOS STATE UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
- You must be a full-time student in an accredited tertiary institution.
- Interested applicants must be a bonafide indigene of Lagos State through paternity.
- You must have a minimum CGPA of 3.5 and above if the maximum CGPA is 5.0, 4.6 if the maximum is 7.0 (University of Ibadan), 3.0 if the maximum is 4.0 (Polytechnic and college of Education)
- You are required to purchase a scholarship application form for N2000, through the office of Special Adviser to the Governor on Education.
- Every applicant must be at 200 level and above.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
- JAMB and School Admission letters
- Evidence of indigeneship, like a letter from Oba and letter from Local Government Council
- School identity card
- Birth Certificate
- Academic Certificates obtained
- JAMB result slip
- Lagos State Residents Registration Agency (LASSRA) identification card of the applicant
- Photocopy of the payment receipt
- Filled application form
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP
- To apply for this scholarship, candidates should at first generate their “bill” with the ‘Bill Number.”
- This will be used to effect payment in the Bank at the Revenue Office of the State Scholarship Board, located at 254 Ipaja Road, beside NYSC Orientation Camp Agege.
- A scratch card will be issued to you for online registration after payment.
- You are advised to do a thorough check at the back of the scratch card for adequate information on the online registration.
- Take your time to fill the form so there won’t be any mistakes.
- You are then required to submit the duly completed application forms with photocopies of the credentials required by the Board at the interview venue, on dates that will be made known to people on their website.
LAGOS STATE POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
- All qualifications and documents listed above can also be applied here including:
- The candidate must have obtained 2.1 (Second class upper) in his or her first degree.
- If a candidate has attained an upper credit in higher national diploma (HND), he/she must present evidence of completion of postgraduate diploma (PGD)
- For Doctorate Degree applicants, if your CGPA at the undergraduate level is second class lower, you must possess a distinction in your master’s degree.
- Certificate or Statement of Results, stating your graduating results from your undergraduate school.
- NYSC discharge or exemption Certificate
- Your Master’s Degree Certificate (for PhD).
The application procedure for the postgraduate category is the same with that of the Undergraduate.
The scholarship is specifically made for indigenes of the state and currently, it is meant for students studying in Nigeria.
Meanwhile in 2005, there was a foreign scholarship scheme for Lagos State students who got admission to study abroad. But in 2009, due to economic meltdown the Lagos State scholarship board had to suspend it till further notice.
The current programme is not meant for only undergraduate and postgraduate students, but primary school, secondary school, and technical colleges.
The board also made sure scholarship reaches those in the school of the blind, Oshodi, Lagos State College of Health Technology.
LAGOS STATE SCHOLARSHIP UPDATE
Lagos State scholarship board had funded the indigenous students of Lagos in their respective tertiary institutions over the years.
The board made a fixed amount to be payable to beneficiaries depending on the category of their award. The amount and the beneficiaries are thus, listed below:
|Scholarship Category||Amount Paid|
|Primary School||N50, 000|
|Secondary School||N80, 000|
|Technical Students||N100, 000|
|Polytechnic/College of Education||N200, 000|
|First Degree||N200, 000|
|Master's Degree||N300, 000|
Meanwhile, the application for the Lagos State scholarship for 2020 has not started. When it will open or close has neither been announced too.
So you should stick with us by subscribing to our email list so that we will keep you updated when the scholarship application starts.
OTHER SCHOLARSHIPS FOR LAGOS STATE STUDENTS
Federal Government Scholarship
The Federal Government of Nigeria through the Ministry of Education annually invites interested and qualified students to apply for the Federal government scholarship.
The scholarship is awarded to both Nigerian undergraduate and postgraduate students. The application date and deadline, however, vary with years.
Therefore, if you are a student studying in any Public tertiary institution (State or Federal), and have the requirements for this scholarship, why not grab the chance.
Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Awards.
The Federal Government of Nigeria sends a good number of Nigerian students to different countries for the bilateral education agreement scholarship every year.
The countries in this bilateral education agreement are Non-English speaking countries like Russia, China, Cuba, Morocco, Algeria, Romania, Ukraine, Turkey, Egypt, Japan, Serbia, Mexico, Macedonia, South Korea and so on.
This Scholarship is divided into undergraduate, postgraduates (Master’s, and PhD.) categories.
According to the interest of the candidates, they will choose which country to study and of course, their choice of course.
If you wish to study outside and explore the opportunity of learning other foreign languages, ensure you check out this scholarship in the link below.
Latest Oil and Gas Scholarships
Many oil and gas giants in the country have different scholarship schemes for students from Nigeria. Some of these scholarships are fully-funded scholarships and are worth over N100, 000 (for one year).
It is in their bid to give back to society and help grow a pool of professionals that these companies have initiated these scholarship programmes.
So, you can choose to apply for these scholarships:
- AGIP Scholarship
- NNPC/Total Scholarship
- NNPC/Chevron Scholarship
- Seplat Scholarship
- PTDF Scholarship
Besides these options discussed here, there is still a plethora of fully-funded scholarships from which you can choose. It is your choice to win or fail; you are only a click away.
Many students have been searching for scholarships, and with this information about the Lagos State scholarship, I am sure you now have more options at your disposal.
Do not hesitate to drop your questions in the comment box (if any); we are ready to help you scale through.
Do well to subscribe to our newsletter so that we will keep you updated with this scholarship and other scholarships that you will like. Share this post and let us keep winning!