Perhaps you are an indigene of River State and wondering about the River State Government scholarship and how you can tap into it and get your university education sponsored.
You have actually clicked on the right post because in this article you will learn all about the River State scholarship scheme, the requirement or criteria and how you can apply.
We have also discussed in this post, some other scholarships that are available for students from the state. Therefore I sincerely urge you t read along with keen interest so as to grab all we have for you here.
Laying your hands on one or two scholarships will go a very long way in making sure you are committed to the course of passing through the university successfully. Now let us go ahead and learn about the River State scholarship.
- 1 OTHER SCHOLARSHIP FOR RIVER STATE STUDENTS
HOW TO APPLY FOR RIVERS STATE SCHOLARSHIP
Candidates who want to apply for the River State government scholarship are required to visit Obi Walk Cultural Centre, Port Harcourt with the listed documents for accreditation and application.
To be eligible for this scholarship, interested candidates must meet the following requirement:
- You must be a River State indigene
- Applicants must have at least 5 credits in WASSC, GCE or NECO in one sitting, for which English and Mathematics are included.
- Only full-time 1000 level students of River State University of Education, River State College of Arts and Science, River State Polytechnic, River State University of Science and Technology and the University of Port Harcourt are eligible to apply.
- You must also submit an application that bears the following information: Name, address, email and phone number.
- You must be ready to provide your admission letter bearing your course of study and year of entry into the school.
- Evidence of state and local government of origin.
- You will also provide a valid means of identity like you National identity card, driver’s license or international passport.
If all the criteria listed above are positive with you, then you can go ahead to prepare the following requirements for the River State scholarship application and payment:
- Letter of identification from your Local Government Council
- School admission letter
- A recommendation letter from your village head
- Student’s current school fees description or invoice
OTHER SCHOLARSHIP FOR RIVER STATE STUDENTS
Aside the scholarship offered by the River State government through the State Scholarship board, there are other scholarships you can apply for as a River State indigene. They are also well rewarding as the first.
Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
Yet another scholarship opportunity available to the River State students is the Niger Delta Postgraduate scholarship which is offered by Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC).
The SPDC Niger Delta postgraduate scholarship is offered in courses related to the following for students who wants to pursue either a Master’s degree or PhD in them:
- Petroleum Engineering
- Petroleum Geosciences
- Engineering Geology
- Petroleum Geophysics
- Exploration Geophysics
- Oilfield Corrosion Engineering
- Chemical Process Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
It is fully sponsored scholarship in the UK and the universities available for this scholarship are:
- Imperial College, London
- University College, London
- University of Leeds
After the application and selection exercise, a total number of ten students are chosen from these Niger Delta States: Bayelsa, River and Delta States; only these ten are awarded the scholarship.
- Interested candidates must have a bachelors degree in the relevant field of study
- The students must either have a first class or second class upper division in the relevant course
- Applicants are required to be between 21 to 28 years
- Applicants must be indigenes of the host communities
- Candidates must meet the universities’ English Language requirements which is usually 6.5 in the IELTS score. The UK universities no longer receive the TOEFL results.
The SPDC Niger Delta postgraduate scholarship will cover tuition fee, one return flight from Nigeria to the United Kingdom. The scholarship will also contribute towards your living expenses.
To learn more and apply for this scholarship, simply Click Here.
River State Governor’s Special Overseas Undergraduate Scholarship
This scholarship is offered also by the River State government through the River State Sustainable Development Agency. Therefore, indigenes of the state are invited to make their application for the River State Governor’s Special Overseas Undergraduate Scholarship programme.
The available programmes/courses under this scholarship programme are:
- Medical Sciences
- Computer related courses
- Natural Sciences
- Town and Regional Planning
To qualify for this scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must not be above 21 years
- You must have at least five credits in SSC. NECO is not applicable in this case.
- Applicants must not be beneficiaries of other scholarship programmes
- You are required to submit a certificate of LGA of origin
- If you are non indigene, you must be a resident of River State for at least 10 years
- You are also required to submit a 3 years tax clearance and your primary school certificate, if you are non indigene.
Status of the Scholarship: The River State Governor’s Special Overseas Undergraduate Scholarship is no longer offered. Hence the application is closed until further notice.
Other scholarships available not just to River State students, but to every other Nigerian students doing eligible courses in accredited Nigerian universities are:
I can be assured now that you have got all you need to know about the River State scholarship and you can understand the stream of opportunities you have. With other renowned scholarships around it, you have more options to explore.
Leave your questions and suggestions in the comment section and do not forget to subscribe to our newsletter for scholarship updates. Why not give this post a share if it was helpful.